Monday, January 03, 2011

Running Around 1-3-11

Happy New Year to all!

With the new year, I'm going to make some adjustments to my  role as track workouts coach/coordinator. I need a little more flexibility in my schedule; I can't make a commitment to being at the track every week like I have in the past. I will be there as often as I can, but not every week. I will continue to provide emails and workout advice. I'll also reiterate the invitation that if there is someone out there interested in taking over the coaching reins, let me know. The invitation is open ...

We're going to continue with winter base mileage again this week. But I'm going to add the option of making your run a progression run. That simply means running the second half faster than the first. The exact pace isn't particularly important, but it should be at least 30 seconds per mile faster than your easy run pace. Ideally, I'd like to see the pace be T-pace + 30-40 seconds. So, if your T-pace is 6:45, then try to hit 7:15-7:25. As far as length goes, I'd like to see the elevated pace for at least the last 3 miles of your run.


You should be working on increasing your total mileage and long run a little each week during the base period.

If you despise road runs and need a track fix, here is the official off-season base training plan. I know it says summer on the title, but it easier to link to it than create another one for winter:
http://trackworkouts.blogspot.com/2008/06/summer-track-workout-progression.html

Week 5 of Winter base. Now for the workout summary.
 
1. Road or greenways run (with optional progression): 4-10 miles. Wear something reflective!

2. Striders at least once this week 4-6x 100m.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home