Monday, June 18, 2007

Running Around 6-18-07

We'll continue with our base training this week. So that means either a road run or a low-impact maintenance workout on the track. I strongly recommend the road run. Try to go slightly longer this week. 6-10 miles is a good number for a mid-week run.

Last week I talked about one way to improve your mileage base - increase the frequency of your running. Another way to improve your base is working on the duration of your runs. Look at your shortest and longest runs. I try to keep my shortest runs to a minimum of 40 minutes. If you're running 30 minutes or less for a given run, try to increase it gradually. For your weekly long run, I like an absolute minimum of 1 hour. If you're already at that level, 1.5 hours is better. In terms of long run mileage, I like 8-10 for 5k focus, 10-12 for 10k focus, 12-15 for 15k focus, and 15-18 for half marathon focus.

If you want specific advice for a Summer base training, talk to me, and we'll figure out a good plan for you.

Now for the workouts ...

1a. Road run 6-10 miles.

1b. 2-5 x 2000m @T pace w/75 seconds rest.

2. Striders. 4-6x100m twice this week.

Get your paces here: http://www.panix.com/%7Eelflord/vdot.html -or- http://www.runningforfitness.org/calc/rp.php

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home