Monday, March 27, 2006

Running Around 3-27-06

First, congratulations to those of you who ran the Knoxville Marathon!! It looked to be a great race with some fast times. Here are the Tuesday night regulars (or semi-regulars):

David Tompkins 3:04
Ray Wilson 3:18
Gary Sperl 3:26
Malcolm Oliver 3:30
Alvaro Ayo 3:35

Other than those I knew were running, I just scanned the results quickly looking for familiar names. Apologies if I missed anyone.

Marathoners ....

Take some time off. Let those legs recover. If you insist on running, make it short and slow. If I see any of you running a workout this week, I'll tackle you and drag you off the track.

---

With the current I-pace work, we're developing V02max. However, we don't want to neglect what we've been working on since January. With that in mind, striders will help maintain your turnover and running economy. The optional T workouts will help maintain your ability to maintain a strong, steady pace and handle lactic acid. If you're racing, skip the second workout.

One thing I haven't discussed much is mileage. At this point in the cycle you can still keep your mileage relatively high. However, it is a good idea to build recovery weeks into your schedule. Following the theory of recovery days, recovery weeks are simply lower mileage and/or lower intensity. Drop back 10-20% every 3-6 weeks and your legs will thank you. During a recovery week, I'll typically replace an easy run with a day off and cut my long run back 3-5 miles.

Now for the workouts ... Week #12 in the training cycle and 9 weeks to Expo:

1. 4-10 x 800m @I pace with 2:30-3:15 jog for rest. The rest time should be shorter than your 800's this week. Shoot for somewhere around 800m time - 15 seconds. Adjust it if you need to.
Volume: The I-paced running should be about 8% of your weekly mileage

2. Striders TWO times this week. 6-8 x 100m

3. Optional second workout if you're not racing: 22 minute run @T pace.

Get your paces here ... http://www.panix.com/%7Eelflord/vdot.html

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home