Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Running Around 3•11•14

Running Around 3•11•14

Week 15 • Winter Training 2014

Sorry for the late delivery of this. I'm traveling for work, and my schedule is all screwed up.

Change of pace this week! We're switching from T-pace to I-pace. I-pace workouts are good for developing speed & strength for 5-10k race. If you are training for a longer Spring race like Boston or Knoxville marathon or half, these workouts will help you sharpen up a bit for those races by turning up the speed and changing the stimulus.

It's at this point in the training cycle that I'll also start including a second weekly workout for those who are inclined to do one. For the remainder of the Spring, those will likely be T-pace miles or hills so we don't loose touch with that fitness that we've been developing since January.

For I-pace workouts, the recovery time is a very important aspect of the workout. Your rest time between repeats must be less that your work time, so if you run 800m in 3 minutes, your recovery time must be 3 minutes or less. As we progress through this part of the training cycle, we will be reducing the rest.

WORKOUT SUMMARY

1. 4-10 x 800m @I-pace









   


DETAILS

Recovery is a 200-400m jog where the time is less than or equal your work time.

Recommendations based on mileage:
50 mpw: 8x 800m @I-pace
45 mpw: 7x 800m @I-pace
40 mpw: 6x 800m @I-pace
35 mpw: 5-6x 800m @I-pace
30 mpw: 5x 800m @I-pace
<=25 mpw: 4x 800m @I-pace
 

Run 1 mile repeat for each 10 miles of weekly mileage (e.g 40 miles per week is 4 repeats). Three is the minimum.

4-6x 100m striders
 
 

USE THESE LINKS TO FIND YOUR R, I, & T TRAINING PACES

http://www.panix.com/~elflord/vdot.html
http://www.attackpoint.org/trainingpaces.jsp
http://www.runningforfitness.org/calc/racepaces/rp

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home