Sunday, March 10, 2013

Running Around 3•10•13

Running Around 3•10•13

Week 16 • Spring 2013

Change of pace this week! We're switching from T-pace to I-pace. I-pace workouts are good for developing speed & strength for 5-10k race. If you are training for a longer Spring race like Boston or Knoxville marathon or half, these workouts will help you sharpen up a bit for those races by turning up the speed and changing the stimulus.

It's at this point in the training cycle that I'll also start including a second weekly workout for those who are inclined to do one. For the remainder of the Spring, those will likely be T-pace miles or hills so we don't loose touch with that fitness that we've been developing since January.

For I-pace workouts, the recovery time is a very important aspect of the workout. Your rest time between repeats must be less that your work time, so if you run 800m in 3 minutes, your recovery time must be 3 minutes or less. As we progress through this part of the training cycle, we will be reducing the rest.

I'll remind you that we meet at the press box, but if it's chilly and/or raining, we usually gather in the lobby of the HPER building. The HPER is directly behind the press box. Go to the lobby on the left (West) side under the breezeway.

WORKOUT SUMMARY

1. 4-10 x 800m @I-pace











2. 3-6x 1600m @T pace



3. Striders


DETAILS

Recovery is a 200-400m jog where the time is less than or equal your work time.

Recommendations based on mileage:
50 mpw: 8x 800m @I-pace
45 mpw: 7x 800m @I-pace
40 mpw: 6x 800m @I-pace
35 mpw: 5-6x 800m @I-pace
30 mpw: 5x 800m @I-pace
<=25 mpw: 4x 800m @I-pace


Run 1 mile repeat for each 10 miles of weekly mileage (e.g 40 miles per week is 4 repeats). Three is the minimum.


4-6x 100m striders

 
 

USE THESE LINKS TO FIND YOUR R, I, & T TRAINING PACES

http://www.panix.com/~elflord/vdot.html
http://www.attackpoint.org/trainingpaces.jsp
http://www.runningforfitness.org/calc/racepaces/rp

unsubscribe from this list | update subscription preferences 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home